Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:40:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      kjerste soderberg <kjerstes@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kj@ethone.com
Subject:   Panic w/ bqrelse: multiple ref .. we thought fixed a year ago

Hello

Sorry to be cross posting it here BUT we did post this
to questions w/o any resolution or responses. well
actually we did get 1 response fr Kirk I think telling
us that this should not be happening in the 4.X
series.

Everyone pls take a look at this, as it is certainly a
strange 1.  We're also starting to suspect maybe a h/w
type of defect as this machine is startting to reboot
itself, yep it reboots ITSELF!!, when we load it up w/
tasks that bring the CPU utilization to 95%+,
(ACTUALLY ALL THESE 6 machines we use for stats apps
that really hammer the CPU ) The machine's mem chip
maybe? or mobo???

Pls answer to me as I'm not subscribed to this list.

We are having a big problem
running FreeBSD 4.3-REL
1.4GHz AMD w/ 512MB RAM (single chip) w/ ABIT KT7A
mobo w/ the VIA 133A chipset.

and we are seeing
 "bqrelse: multiple refs" problem.
 The panic then the dump, syncing disks..
We thought this was fixed over a year ago in vfs_bio.c

This problem occured most recently when I exit'ed
a remote ssh session.
The exit took several seconds, and caused me to
believe something was wrong.  I  then logged back in,
and sure enough, we had a 'sh.core' dump
file (of zero size) and my running jobs had died.
(The machine dumped.)

Later, I could not get in at all, (of course the
machine was dead at that point)  and the other 6
machines doing NFS writes failed as well.

NFS structure IS:
This machine with this problem, call it PRIME1,
NFS serves 6 other FBSD4.3 machines as clients. They
ALL mount PRIME1's /mnt/public and all
6 write into this directory with their own files.
SO we made this an NFS client ONLY, that's when it
started rebooting itself instead of giving us the
bqrelse mesg and staying at the dead console window.
The NFS server is now an older slower 4.2-REL machine
that doesn't do ANYTHING except serve NFS whereas this
machine WAS serving NFS AND doing some intensive
computing @same time, BTW all 6 of these machines w/
this stats app bring the CPU utilization to 95%+ for
12 hrs routinely.

So, this morning, searching the net, we found
several references (fr July 2000) to
"bqrelse" but none of the references seemed to
assert that the fix was such-and-such.  Does a fix
exist?  By the way, I maintain multiple FreeBSD
4.3-REL boxes and am doing lot's of NFS activity, in
addition to my
occasional SSH login.

I am willing to reconfig the kernel & make queue's
larger, change parameters or whatever else it takes to
make this work.

Pls help us.