Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 11:32:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Oh my god, Google has a USENET archive going back to 1981!

:
:That brings back memories. We wrote our own firmware for the 1541 since
:the commodore DOS was so slow. I forget what transfer rate we managed but
:it was much better than the standard code. Bit of a sod to debug though.
:
:--
:Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
:					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160

    Yup.  Remember Bryce's 1541 Flash?  He was working on beefing up
    the C64 serial link while I was working on beefing up the PET's
    (software driven) IEEE-488 link.  We both managed to increase disk
    bandwidth by an order of magnitude, mainly by synchronizing the
    computer's 6502 with the peripheral's 65xx and then just stuffing
    data into the ports without bothering with any handshakes until the
    very end.  That old usenet posting I posted has some references to it.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>