Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:01:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        peb@amleth.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.org

On 07-Jan-01 Paul E. Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the FreeBSD world and have a new blank laptop on which I am
> aiming to place FreeBSD. However, I have enjoyed some playing with the
> FICL boot-loader that is part of the PicoBSD floppy disk I obtained from
> the web-site. I emailed Andrzej and he advised...

If you want to talk about running FreeBSD on your laptop, the right list to ask
about is on freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org, which is where all the laptop users
hang out, more or less.

> Therefore I would appreciate joining in with the discussions here and
> obtaining pointers to some of the archives.

If you want to talk about picoBSD and running FreeBSD on smaller environments
and footprints, then this is the list for that.  The archives can be found on
the website.  (http://docs.FreeBSD.org, IIRC)

> For the record, the new laptop is:-
>
>   Dell Inspiron 3800
>   128Mb memory (DIMM)
>   12Gb HDD
>   2 PCMCIA slots
>   IrDa port
>   Comms Port
>   USB port
>   CD-ROM
>   FDD (on printer port)
>   ECP/EPP/Printer port
>   Extension bus.
>   Trackpad mouse+
>
> I plan to use a Silicom SEM33 Ethermodem module in the PCMICIA for
> network and phone communications facilities.

FWIW, I run -current on my 5000e Inspiron.  The pccard stuff should work fine,
though I'm not sure if your card will work or not.  The IrDa won't work.
USB/CD-ROM, should work fine.  Not sure about the floppy (mine is not
removable).  The touchpad works fine as a PS/2 mouse.  Sound should work fine.
In fact, in current the volume buttons even work now. :)  X 4.0.2 should run
fine if it is an ATI Rage128 Mobility graphics adapter.  APM might not work.
On the 5000e the APM BIOS is busted and doesn't work, however in -current the
ACPI stuff mostly works.  At least, suspend/resume on lid close and sleep
button, and the power button does an automatic shutdown -p now.  And shutdown
-p works fine with ACPI.  Cardbus doesn't work under -current for my 5000e at
least due to resource allocation problems.  However, YMMV, and -mobile is the
list to ask on.