Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:58:31 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   supporting broadcom gig BCM5751

I'm trying to install a new dell machine at work but it's coming up
with an unknown internal gig ether card and it's stupidly fussy about
PCI cards (won't boot with random cards in it).

The device is; 0x14e4 0x1677 which some searching tells me is a
broadcom BCM5751 gig ether card.

Adding the device ids to if_bge.c and if_bgereg.h;

  #define BCOM_DEVICEID_BCM5751		0x1677

	{ BCOM_VENDORID, BCOM_DEVICEID_BCM5751,
		"Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet" },

and PXE booting with the new kernel gives me;

  bge0: <Broadcom BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x4001> mem
    0xdfcf0000-0xdfcfffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci2
  NMI ISA a0, EISA ff
  RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

  Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
  instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc028a8cb
  stack pointer           = 0x10:0xc0821d4c
  frame pointer           = 0x10:0xc0821d54
  code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                          = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
  processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
  current process         = 0 (swapper)
  interrupt mask          = net tty bio cam
  trap number             = 19
  panic: non-maskable interrupt trap

This doesn't happen with a default kernel (or my special build kernel
without the source patch). ANy hints or does this need real driver
support work ?

P.

--
pir