Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 22:41:29 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Sergey <serge69@nym.alias.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

You write to tell us now that a release that was produced some four
months ago is (was?) unstable?

Have you noticed that we've done another release since then?

Have you stopped to consider that it isn't even slightly helpful to
report problems with FreeBSD _after_ a release?  We depend on our users
to tell us about problems on the -stable branch before it's rolled into
a release, not afterwards.  If you're not willing to take part in this
process, your complaints are likely to be ignored at the very least.

In your case, I can't work out what it is that you want to achieve
here; the problems with 3.1 are well known and have mostly been
addressed in 3.2.  There are ongoing issues that are being worked on,
with help from various people (yourself notably not included).

If you want to see future releases perform better than the one you're
whining about now, I suggest you get busy contributing something more
useful than your current load of hot air.

> I've checked this out on good hardware. And now can CLAIM that
> 3.1-R *really* have kernel problems on FreeBSD's "classic" configuration.
> This bug causes TERRIBLE instability - panic in 24 hours. Even Microsoft's
> OSes gives significantly better results
>

> This is mourning day for me - I CAN'T believe in stability of RELEASES
> any more...
>

> With best regards, Sergey.

\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com