Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:27:34 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Paul Gardner-Stephen <gardners@joel.hld.c64.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution? CVS, disk space and stuff

>[re: should we have the CVS tree with *everything* in it, or a smaller one]
>
>Hmmm.. I personally think that 60 or 70MB (i recall thats the difference
>in size,
>*at most* between the full CVS, and a truncated one, for the full source
>tree is a
>pretty good price for a very useful development tool.

Although I believe that your estimate is off by quite a bit, the storage space,
per se, is only a part of the concern. If you will observe the content of a
standard
cvs file, you will see that a large portion of that file is old static history.
Processing this information every time the cvs file is accessed is a cost that
everyone (except the "current" users) bears. In many cases, to get to the
head of
the 2.2 branch, cvs must unroll the last year's changes and then re-apply
them to
generate a file that is the same as, or very similar to, the "current" head.
There are also large pieces of "dead" code which are there only because an
entire
module was moved to a new location.

So every time someone uses CVS or CVSup they pay a processing charge.
Multiple times
each day, my CTM generator spends hours comparing these static portions in its
generation of the latest CTM deltas.

>If i saw a complete CVS system for sale for $20, i'd probably recommend
>it, and thats
>what this equates to (60mb hdd = $20 ;)
Close ... The 2.2.5 CD set is 29.95 and also includes a bunch of other
useful info.

My suggestion is not to get rid of the information in the cvs tree, but to
reorganize
it into a format which would allow (1) the optional omission of obsolete
parts and
(2) the recognition of invariant parts so that they could be ignored in
processing.

Richard Wackerbarth