Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:43:46 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        hide110 <hide110@us-it.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up Internet

hide110 wrote:

>Sorry for the silly question, maybe I just haven't really been reading up
>enough, but I have never really delved much into networks.  Here's my current
>setup, all my systems are connected to a small home office router which is in
>turn connected to a cable modem.  With my Windows machines I just plug a cat5
>into an empty slot and it's automatically assigned an IP.  Some are setup as
>static based on MAC and some not; regardless whenever it's plugged in it will
>autodetect.
>
>During the FreeBSD installation it does not seem to pull any information down
>when I choose DHCP, I foolishly did not enter in the required fields, & just
>went on to setup XWindows.  Where do I modify my network settings?  What
>command would I use?  Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting
>my internet setup?

Obligatory answer:  send your ?? to questions@freebsd.org, which
is the more applicable forum.

Friendly answer, newb to newb:  edit /etc/rc.conf.  Here's a sample
of mine:

    #  NETWORK CONFIG
    hostname="foobar.daleco.biz"
    ifconfig_sis0="192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"

You could just as easily have { ifconfig_sis0="DHCP" }
there to pull your info from the router.  You may also
need { defaultrouter=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx } (i.e. the IP of
your router) --- I don't generally run FBSD via DHCP,
and am therefore not sure if you'll get your default
route set or not.  I *think* you will....

HTH,

KDK