Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:04:48 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        "Derrill \"Kisc\" Guilbert" <Derrill@DaemonNews.org>, Newbies <newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Stupid Question

On Thursday 13 June 2002 01:18 pm, Derrill \"Kisc\" Guilbert wrote:
> Uhm. I'm totally embarassed to be asking this question, but how do you make
> an IDE CDROM drive mount a CD? And/or what's the correct way to say what I
> just murdered?
>
> In my solaris days, you didn't have to do anything, it automounted, so I
> never figured out what one had to tell the system to mount it.

At first I was assuming that you wanted to know how to mount a CD as a user.
Then I noticed your domain name. I guess you either already know how to do
that, or know how to find out. If not, ask your boss :-)

My understanding is that you can't get the Solaris behavior. Solaris does
something called volume management with regards to CDs and floppies. It's
sort of like automounting but not quite. But you can get most of the same
behavior using amd, the automounter.

Now this is going to be very embarassing for you, but there's an article on
this very topic at DaemonNews:
<http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html>;

:-)

David