Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:12:11 -0600
From:      Rick Gray <rickg@nwpros.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hacker solution

I wish to thank everyone for such a quick response for my problem. As I have
stated before, the FreeBSD community is one of the best to keep each other
informed and offer help to others.

I finally deleted the hidden file by using the "" marks. I then changed
permissions on the pub directory to read only. I checked my logins and had
at one time over 12 people trying to download the pirated proogram....it was
nothing more than a game by the way. I guess the pirateer realized that I
had caught them and informed their buddies, probably on IRC since there was
a suddden rash of trying to downlaod the program.

Now I know its sounded strange but somehow while the hackers were logged
into FTP, no one else could use FTP. Everyone was getting permission denied
messages. After I deleted the file, FTP started working just fine.

Thanks for letting me know about mozilla being used by Netscape. I was so
diswrought over this incident that I guess I wasn't thinking straight. It is
a scare that someone can go into your systme and hide a file from you. I
knew it wasn't FreeBSD itself that was hacked into because it is a very
secured program. So now I will scour my users' files and see if there is a
reference to that file on any of their pages. I somehow suspect it is one of
my customers being the culprit.

Again thanks all for the quick answers. FBSD is still the best around.

Kudos!