Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:19:23 +0200
From:      "Marcel.lautenbach" <freebsd@xtsy.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm an tty's

Guten Tag Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.,

am Montag, 23. August 2004 um 23:05 schrieben Sie:

KDKDSP> Marcel.lautenbach wrote:

>>Hi folks,
>>
>>well, I just started up with FreeBSD. Otherwise I would not be writing
>>to this group :-)
>>
>>So, up to date I am rather limited in my knowldege :-)
>>
>>And here is my first problem: I have set up a running and functional
>>FreeBSD 4.10 System in an VMware enviroment.
>>
>>Well, I came to a pioint where it is said you could autostart xdm by
>>eddeting the /etc/ttys for tty8 and set on the xdm -daemon.
>>
>>So far, so good. Now, I start the system and automacially xdm starts
>>up. I just have to login and can run my favourite Desktop, e.g. KDE.
>>
>>Well, but how can I switch in xdm to another tty. Generally I can use
>>the F-Keys in combination with ALT to switch. But when I am in xdm and I do not want to
>>login-in via xdm and start KDE, how can I swith. When I us ALT-F2 for
>>instance I don't get tty1. Al it says ist that my login is not correct
>>after the second try, because I am in the user/password fields.
>>Can someone helmp me with this matter?
>>I would defenitely appreciate it :-)

KDKDSP> Well, I start gdm on ttyv0; Using CTL-ALT-F(x) gets
KDKDSP> me to the other virtual consoles.  CTL-ALT-F9 gets
KDKDSP> me back to X.  YMMV, but I HTH,

KDKDSP> Kevin Kinsey
KDKDSP> DaleCo, S.P.

Hi folks,

I have installed FreeBSD 4.9 yesterday, in an vmware enviroment. So
far, everything works fine, but I don't get the x-server running. I've
configured everything so far. But there seem to be some problems with the
videocard. standard vga is not accepted by FreeBSD included vmware
drivers. I tried a litte around, but it won't work. On my other,
"real" computer I had no difficulties runnig the x-server and kde for
instance.

So, is there anyone who maybe has some experience with this matter?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks in andvance

Marcel

--