Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2018 01:11:30 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Subject:   Re: CFT: TRIM Consolodation on UFS/FFS filesystems

[Just correcting a bad claim about the timing of the
two buildworld runs that were referenced. It could be
misleading to Kirk for his requested information.]

On 2018-Sep-5, at 5:12 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 03:07:16PM -0700, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>>=20
>> It is a bit tricky to just turn off TRIM and then measure it, because
>> in the immediate aftermath of its having been used, it will leave
>> behind a legacy of easier to use flash areas yet not have the cost
>> of keeping them cleaned up. So, it might initially look like enabling
>> TRIM is a bad idea. Thus you would have to run many installworlds
>> without TRIM enabled to see what the long-term result of not using
>> TRIM turns out to be.
>>=20
>=20
> Just for fun I ran a (somewhat absurd) -j4 buildworld on RPI3 using 6 =
GB of swap,
> three on USB and three on microSD, just to see if anything interesting =
(bad) happened.=20
> The process took about 24 hours, and  the oversuppy of swap didn't =
cause any obvious=20
> problems. Next I turned on TRIM and re-ran the buildworld script. =20
>=20
> There were no obvious problems, but the process took about an extra =
hour.

buildworld did not take an hour longer for one vs. the other
based on the timestamps in the log files:

trim off:

World build started on Sun Sep  2 20:28:12 PDT 2018
. . .
World build completed on Mon Sep  3 21:35:47 PDT 2018

So somewhat over 25 hours 7 minutes.

trim on:

World build started on Tue Sep  4 00:02:36 PDT 2018
. . .
World build completed on Wed Sep  5 01:12:47 PDT 2018

So somewhat over 25 hours 10 minutes.

I get an under 5 minute difference from those timestamps.

> Since /var, /tmp and /usr were all on USB there was no hope TRIM could =
be
> any help on the busy filesystems. TRIM was enabled on microSD, but it =
had
> little to do. There does seem to be a modest penalty for using TRIM =
when
> it can't help much.
>=20
> Is there any hope of implementing something like TRIM for USB on the =
Pi?
> It appears that congestion on USB is a serious bottlneck from time to =
time
> just for traffic with /tmp and /usr. Adding swap to the mix makes it =
worse.
>=20
> Log files are at
> http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/swaptests/r338342/3gbsd_3gbusb/