Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:36:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de (Bernd Walter), vallo@matti.ee, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deadlock with vinum raid5

It seems Greg Lehey wrote:
> > This wont fix it on the i386 where the problem is, and btw I havn't seen
> > any commits yet...
>
> No, I was just about to do something when phk changed the interfaces.
> I don't have the time to keep chasing him, so I'll wait until we have
> a relatively stable situation and then I'll continue.

Thats a lame excuse, use RELENG_4 and be done with it for now, this
problem is a serious showstopper for alot of people on exactly
that branch. If you want vinum to gain users, RELENG_4 is the
one tree you should care for _now_.

> > Have you tried running a RAID5 on intel HW and have INVARIANTS in
> > the kernel as I asked you to ??
>
> No, for the above reason.
>
> > Have you looked at the dumps I've put up that you asked for ??
>
> Yes.  I have some ideas, but before I can continue I need to get my
> test machine in a stable state.  It could take a day or two.

Thats exactly what RELENG_4 is for...

*Sigh*, let me ask it this way then, are you going to invest the time
in getting it to work any time soon ??, we have now been running in
circles for over a week waiting for you to take this seriously...

I need to know, and I need to know _soon_, or I'll have to either
fix vinum myself, or use/invent something else...

-Søren