Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 23:43:54 UT
From:      "leegold" <leegold@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can not get sound card to work

>Hey, I also had the same problem. The AWE 64 just doesn't even make  noise!.
>While its true that the manual has an example on set it up, it just
>didn't work. I tried recompiling the kernel many times, even a couple of
>"make world", both with FreeBSD 4.5 and 4.6.2 release.
>
>I gave up as I don't really need the sound to enjoy the system, but I
>think that there is probably an issue with the AWE64 and FreeBSD.
>
>By the way, the card is on a ISA slot and works fine when running win2k.

Same experience, my AWE64 worked fine in WIN2k and Mandrake Linux.
But I spent a solid week trying in FreeBsd - I tried everything - no
sound.
There's a commercial driver: http://www.opensound.com/
I'm thinking of spending the money - there's free phone support too.
Really shook me up that FBsd can't PnP my sound less support it.
Of course we may be doing something wrong, some detail we are over
looking,
but I recompiled my kernel 20 times and searched the web for help like a
maniac, so
it makes sense at this point to buy the drivers. Very frustrating.

--
http://fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                      unladen european swallow