Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:51:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Alex <alex@montenegro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rebooting to a different OS

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Alex wrote:

> This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Alex" <alex@montenegro.com>
> Be sure to reply to that address.
>
> I have FreeBSD/Win NT dual boot machine. If
> FreeBSD is up on my machine, is there a way to
> remotely connect to it, and restart it with
> WinNT  (and vice versa).

The only boot manager that I know of that can do this is
System Commander, which needs a dos partition in which to keep
its files.  It creates, when it boots, a file called
syscmndr.sys, in C:\.  If the System Commander is set up to
boot the last operating system loaded by default, you can
copy this file (when FreeBSD is loaded) to syscmndr.bsd, and
when nt is loaded, to syscmndr.nt.  Then you copy whichever
one you want to syscmndr.sys, and reboot.

This assumes you can log in to either system and get write
access to the dos drive containing syscmdr.sys and so forth.

Annelise