Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:41:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

--- Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net> ha scritto:

> Nobody should install both xorg and xfree86 at the same time. It's pretty
> pointless and it would cause more messy when you try to build other ports
> that depend on either of it. Move everything in LOCALBASE, nothing more
> and nothing less, is much cleaner.

Consider the following scenario:

Happy owner of an (lets say) ATI card wants to use FreeBSD but he REALLY needs
OpenGL. He decides to give XFree86 a try since he has heard on XOrg the
accelerated OpenGL doesn't work very well yet.

Happy owner installs some non-X packages and then installs XFree86. He then
goes throught the work of setting up his build for building everything with
XFree86. When a "working" XOrg release comes he'll have to massively deinstall
packages including XFree86 (and his configuration files) just to check if XOrg
now works.

Having it's own prefix, he still has to remove packages, but at least now he
knows most of the conflicting packages will be in /usr/X11, and if there is
"garbage" left he can still do rm -rf /usr/X11 without fear of removing non-X
stuff.

If POLA is important here, I guess leaving X11BASE as it is now (/usr/X11R6)
for XFree86 is the way to go. I'm not saying we should be able to run different
Xservers in the same box (although that is not a bad idea altogether), but that
we could, and should, alleviate the issues of people wanting to run XFree86,
especially since it comes at no cost.

Pedro