Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2007 11:04:55 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Scott D Friedemann <scott@friedemann.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error from mount_smbfs

Scott D Friedemann <scott@friedemann.us> writes:

> FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p3 #0
>
> I have run mount_smbfs for the last couple years without incident.
> Now I find the command no longer works, but gives this error.
>
> mount_smbfs -I 192.168.1.100 //drogo/c /mnt/bsdstuff
> Password:
> mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Cannot allocate memory
>
> Can anyone offer a clue?

I tracked it as far as an ioctl call for creating what looks like a
protocol block.  I don't have the time to trace into the kernel right
now, and it doesn't look like anything in the smbtools userland has
changed in quite a while.

Can we assume that you checked the obvious things, like making sure
that the system isn't running out of memory?  Does this happen with a
GENERIC kernel?  Are you sure the kernel matches the userland?  Also
let us know if you can recall when it stopped working.

And for what it's worth, I don't get such an error on -STABLE.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/