Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:31:47 -0700
From:      "OCEANS Ltd." <oceans@nfld.com>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD fails to Install

Hi:

        I have recently purchased a copy of FreeBSD 2.1 and I am having quite
        a bit of trouble installing the OS.  I have a 486 SLC2 IBM motherboard
        with 16MB of RAM and an IDE hard drive and CDROM drive.

        I have tried each of the installation methods described in the handbook,
        except for the network install, and each has failed.  For both the DOS
        install and DOS IDE procedures I was able to get through the initial
        setup process of selecting the hardware and file systems but the install
        failed, when I selected CDROM as source, with an error message saying that
        I have to "assign disk labels before proceeding".

        As I did not expect the install to work properly because of the IDE CDROM
        I next created the boot floppy for installing to an IDE CDROM.  This
        procedure did not get as far as either of the other two.  When the system
        tried to boot from the floppy it failed with the following error message
        repeating until the system was rebooted:

                    error: C:61 H:0 S:14

        If you have any suggestions as to why these installs failed I would like
        to hear from you.  In the meantime I will be installing an old Sony 2X
        CDROM and trying the installation again.

        Thank you very much for your time,

        Trevor Johnson
        oceans@nfld.com