Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:27:41 -0700
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDs with patched Apache?

Brett Glass wrote:
> At 12:31 AM 6/18/2002, Kameron Gasso wrote:
>

>>Wasn't the fact that -RELEASE branches don't get updated with new packages already discussed extensively in the not-so-distant past?
>

> Some folks yelled at me for pointing it out, but alas there was no
> real discussion of how to solve the problem.
>

>>Although it wouldn't be very glamorous (and I certainly wouldn't reccommend it), the port installed with the latest -RELEASE could be "broken" so it wouldn't download and install without someone forcing it.  Still, this wouldn't really encourage them to upgrade their ports tree - it'd more than likely just cause much swearing and force people to work around the problem.
>

> It'd still be a warning. Hmmm.... Maybe the warning could be made part
> of pkg_add, and/or something that pkg_add executed. It would simply say,
> "proceed at your own risk!"
>
> But if you were installing from CD, you wouldn't be warned. Unless....
> Unless pkg_add phoned home to check on the package. Which is possible
> if the machine can be connected to the Net.

This is probably not feasible.  I for one when installing from CD do not
network the machine until I have done a bunch of other things first to
secure it.  That is why I use CD's beyond it being quicker and more
reliable is so I can setup a box in a secure environment (Not
networked).  Plus the idea of the CD is to not need/require a network
connection.

Honestly I never use the CD packages since they will be outdated by the
time I use it.

--Larry