Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2021 17:02:16 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suspend/resume (to/from RAM), kern.vty, and x11/nvidia-driver

--gTk0gSo/RbH2iF06

I have a couple of Dell laptops -- an older (Precision M4800) and
a newer (Precision 7520) on which I've been tracking FreeBSD
stable/12, head, and (lately) stable/13 (with a daily cadence).  I
also update installed ports on each every day.  Each uses
x11/nvidia-driver for graphics.

Each runs FreeBSD itself ... well.  And I recently found out that the
mouse/touchpad on the 7520 now works under head and stable/13 (by
I2C).  (I tried the sysutils/iichid port under stable/12, but have not
been able to get the mouse to work yet under stable/12.)

And suspend/resume works... under stable/12, where I have been using
kern.vty=3D"sc" (in /boot/loader.conf).  (I recall having tried letting
kern.vty default to "vt" -- that seems to cause resume to fail: the
screen never lights up again, nor can I ssh into the laptop.  Yes, I
configured the laptops to be able to ssh into them for various reasons
-- such as testing suspend/resume.)

In order to test some recent (vbe-related) loader changes, however, I
needed to change kern.vty back to the default value of "vt" -- and that
appears to cause resume to fail (still).

How may I help figure out what's wrong?  The newer (7520) laptop, in
particular, is idle most of the day, so experimenting with it should be
OK.

Thanks!

Peace,
david
--=20
David H. Wolfskill                              david@catwhisker.org
It is supremely disingenuous to claim a lack of jurisdiction, then    =20
proceed to participate in a decision on the same matter.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

--gTk0gSo/RbH2iF06

--gTk0gSo/RbH2iF06--