Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:27:56 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Bambrough, Thomas" <tom.bambrough@windriver.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Proper location for starting daemons at the different init le vels

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 11:36:42AM -0500, Bambrough, Thomas wrote:

> > Is there a description where one should put scripts and thing that you
> > want executed at the different init levels.

What runlevels?

AFAIK, FreeBSD does not have the notion of runlevels.

> > Specifically, I'm looking for the location to place the DHCP server daemon
> > startup. Some say that should be in RC, but
> > when I look in there it thou shall not modify. Ideally I want to place it
> > where it will not be changed in an OS upgrade.

You can put a System-V style script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and the
startup scripts of FreeBSD in /etc will take care of running it when the
system boots.

Note that the "upgrade procedure" does not usually touch /etc if you are
updating your system with CVSup, and recompiling the world.  You have to
update your /etc manually, which means that you can also put any changes
you like in /etc/rc and take care when upgrading.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
For my public pgp2 key: finger -l keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr