Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:51:35 +0100
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de, julian@elischer.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freesd.org
Subject:   Re: Star & FreeBSD

Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> wrote:

> Not to put down the work you have done, but we've just switched to Tim's
> BSDtar
> so it seems unlikely that we would swiitch again right now.
> We have unfortunatly an embarrasment of riches when it comes to tar.
> Too may good implementatiosn to choose from.. One would be good,
> 2 is going to make sure someone misses out. :-/
>
> One good thing with Tim's implementation is the library. It allows us to
> embed tar/cpio/pax capabilities directly into applications such as pkg_add.

There are plans to make star a library too. However this takes some time
for a program that uses global variables since 23 years....

The current state is something between a stand alone program and a lib.
Look into star/gnutar.c to see how to build a shell for the star code.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de		(uni)
       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/