Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:34:19 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

At 5:11 PM +0000 2000/11/8, Terry Lambert wrote:

>  Hardly.  Jordan's American, and it's a predominantly English
>  joke, so him saying he didn't get it was pretty indicative
>  that it didn't travel well.

	I'm an American as well, and I got it the moment I saw the
original message from DES.

	Just because he's an American doesn't necessarily mean that this
is the reason he doesn't get it, or that other Americans won't get
it.  Contrariwise, you may be right that many Americans won't get it,
but I must say that my own personal experience is that I think most
of them probably will.

	In particular, I believe that a large majority of Americans are
either relatively religious, or have friends or family that are
relatively religious (an Uncle of mine is a preacher, and one of the
best men at my wedding studied for a few years in Seminary and is now
on his way to becoming a Deacon).  I believe that most people who are
relatively religious or have family or friends that are relatively
religious are likely to get the joke -- they may not appreciate it,
but they should get it.

	You are correct that the other group of people that are likely to
get the joke are going to tend to be better educated and probably
film buffs, but if you put all the better educated film buffs
together with all the people that are relatively religious or have
friends or family that are relatively religious, well that's probably
a good percentage of the population of the US, and I would say that
this would probably cover a considerably higher percentage of the
FreeBSD membership.

	In other words, don't worry -- be happy.

	Besides, there's plenty of stuff already in the fortune database
that is *far* more obtuse than something like this.  If even just a
small percentage of the people on this list get the joke and
appreciate it, I think that's good enough reason to put it into the
database.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium