Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 19:46:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system config database...

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Dan Janowski wrote:

>This is in line with my current thinking. As sick
>as this may sound, it will be a little smit-ish
>(ever use AIX?). Me thinks the major parsing and
>generation of directives (what should happen next)
>should not be shell based; too hazardous.

I've also been thinking about this. I don't think SMIT is so sick,
though it isn't very elegant. I think Jordan's idea is good with the
addition of methods for controlling daemons, etc.

Would this mean we would have to have an ODMish "predefined" db and a
"customized" db so the user wouldn't need to understand the mechanics
of the changes he makes?

To be valuable, though, a tool should generate "standard" rc.* files
and also be able to parse them in case they've been changed by hand.

>It seems that there still a need for a per service
>set of scripted instruction for startup.
>An /etc/rc.d with mini-scripts for features. Some

For god's sake, don't do that. What's wrong with an ODM that can be
parsed and generate standard rc.* files? Unique scripts can be tucked
off in a place like /etc/conf/sbin or some such and used only by the
SMITtish type tool.

>similarites with SysV, but with out rc2.d rc1.d.
>
>Encapsulation and easy interface to the meta-data
>through a static binary that will run the
>boot process, allow for general queries and
>updates.

I'm not sure I understood what you just said -- but why tie it to the
boot process? Queries, updates should be made against the configuration
database. Updates should be made to the db and generate "standard" rc
files.

>It would be an atomic replacement for
>the current rc stuff, but not to spell
>a dead end for the old way, as you suggest.

Giving up the ability to control the system by hand would be, I think,
a mistake. For someone coming off a SunOS system, AIX/LVM/ODM is a
bitch. I'd like to see the two approaches work smoothly together. And,
I know it's easier said than done.

What we have may not be elegant, but it isn't broken. I would hate to
break it. Even AIX gives you the option of BSD style configuration.

-- Jay