Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:11:30 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bv@wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Parking disk drive heads

"Bits dont fail me now!" was what
freebsd-hackers-request@freebsd.org muttered as he hastily typed
this on Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:00 :

>    1. Re: Parking disk drive heads (Glenn Dawson)

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:47:32 -0700
> From: Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net>
> Subject: Re: Parking disk drive heads

> At 11:32 PM 8/16/2005, m.ehinger@ltur.de wrote:
> >Hi,

> >which is the correct way to park the hd head?

> Seagate drives park the heads automatically when they are turned
> off. As far as I know, this applies to other manufacturer's
> drives as well.

To which he replied:

> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:14:47 +0200
> From: m.ehinger@ltur.de
> Subject: Re: Parking disk drive heads

> I don't want to park them on turn off. I want to park them
> before a possible strong shock which could cause damage and
> unpark them afterwards.

The setups for parking heads pretty much went away when the move
from MFM drive to ATA technology.

And if your are worried about a shock that could damage the drive,
you will probably lose your computer at the same time.

Check the technical specs on current drives.  You will see that
most will handled well over 100G shocks when not running, and
usually far over 20G in operational mode.  Considering that
20G to the human body usually means death you aren't going to have
to worry about losing drives to operating bumps unless you have a
habit of dropping them in parachutes from airplanes. :-)

I have ruined drives with a bad bump in the past - but those
were MFM drives - and that happened in the mid-to-late 1980s.

The first HDs I saw could withstand less than 1G in shipping so
the 5.25" Shugart ST-505 drives - $25090 for 5MB [that is MegaByte]
were shipped in foam padded boxes a bit larger than the drive, and
these boxes were suspended by springs from the corners of a much
larger shipping box - in the 18"x18" size category.

IOW - unless you are running some early ATA drives, shocks when
running are something you don't have to really worry about, unless
you plan to shove the entire computer off the desk when it is
running with the power on.

Bill

[The orignal post was in of freebsd-hackers Digest, Vol 126, Issue 5]

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com