Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:07:11 -0600
From:      Eric Carlsen <ec@byu.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   freeze on install

I just downloaded and tried to install FreeBSD 4.5. Every time it gets
to the probing for devices part it freezes/hangs. I checked online and
the only thing it says is to take out any internal ide zip drives. I
don't have any. I've installed freebsd 4.4 on this machine before (that
won't work now either) and the only things that I think I've changed is
a new video card and a new internal, hardware based, pci modem (it works
fine in linux). Here are my specs

Abit KT7E motherboard
ATI Xpert 2000 Pro video card
US Robotics 2977 pci hardware modem
parallel port zip drive (old style) with an Epson 600 printer attached
Sound Blaster 16 isa sound card
logitech optical wheel mouse with a usb to ps/2 converter

I've noticed problems before with the sound card and mouse but I had the
same ones when i installed 4.4. Just as a note, I did try to remove the
modem before install. When I did that it didn't freeze at the probing
devices part, it froze before then with a message:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c

Thanks for any help

Eric Carlsen
ec@byu.net