Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:21:53 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        binup@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   current project steps

The way I see it, the big picture steps for binup are:

1. Extend package framework with middle layer API and system packages
2. Work concept of system packages into the FreeBSD tree
3. Create library with basic portupgrade functionality and network protocol
4. Write applications that use this library to update the system

Use of binup and the source tree should not be mutually exclusive. It
should be possible to upgrade a system from source, then a month later,
upgrade it with binup, and then return using the source tree without
hassle. This is not trivial, but assumedly could be accomplished by
using the mk makefiles to register system components in the package
database as it installs them.

Additionally, after the client library is completed, I would like to make
usage of a binup server a valid means of installation for libh.