Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:29:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        trouble@netquick.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-current@freebsd.org)
Subject:   Re: D?ISK I/O erros

It seems TrouBle wrote:
> this is a brand new 10gig UDMA 66 maxtor.... is this a disk problem via
> hardware, or is it a BSD issue with the new code ???

>  angelsguardian /kernel: ad0: UDMA CRC WRITE ERROR blk# 7801951 retrying

The driver is telling you that the transfers CRC check are not valid
and it is retrying the transfer. This can be due to many things:

Bad cableing, cable too near field generating devices in the machine,
bad disk, bad controller, bad driver...
Mostly though this is due to one of the two first items.

> ad0: <Maxtor 91021U2/FA52086> ATA-5 disk at ata0 as master
> ad0: 9770MB (20010816 sectors), 19852 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, UDMA33

I need a full verbose bootlog (dmesg) before I can give you any more
diagnostic on this..

-Søren