Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:04:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New scheduler - build options

> > > I think that the option should be set up so that no option gives the
> > > current scheduler.
> >
> > We discussed that but that would require adding a #ifndef each time a
> > scheduler was added.  It's less appealing long term.  Sorry we didn't
> > include you on this discussion.  I sent requests for feedback on this with
> > my first arch@ post and eventually ended up directly discussing it with
> > re.
>
> Huh? Did I not indicate an interest?
>
> if you mean the post earluer today, then it needs abit more than
> one day....

It was 3 days ago.

> I happen to think that what you are doing is good because we need the
> ability to abstract the scheduler, but 're@' doesn't have any say in
> this.. it's not an 're' issue.

I felt that changes which would break config compatibility within a major
release was a re issue just like breaking API/ABI compatibility.

> Making thousands of people go and edit their config files is just
> 'unfriendly'. This is an "arch@" issue and I think that you need to
> revert this change until it's been discussed in the correct forum.
> Maybe it's come to the decision that what you have done is corrrect but
> I suspect that having a default scheduler is more in line with POLA
> than suddenly having to specify one.

You are probably right about POLA.  I'll look into fixing this up
tomorrow.  I'm a bit too tired to start trying to reverting or moving
forward.  In the mean time, if anyone else has any opinions on whether
this option should be manditory or not, please speak now.