Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 20:20:02 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>, dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
Cc:        hamellr@heorot.1nova.com, Joe.Warner@smed.com, postmaster@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hello from russia!

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> what does Sue Blake, Greg Lehey and the other old timers on the
> freebsd-newbies list have to say about the name change.

I got a response from Greg Lehey saying that he didn't think
a name change or doing away with the list all together would
be a viable solution.  He closed saying everyone will just have
to live with things as they are.

> in part this seems to be a simple matter of people not reading the
> mail list charter, which is sent to them when they first subscribe:

Agreed but how many charters have you read in their entirety after
subscribing to a list?  Maybe you have a good habit of reading and
understanding the charters before sending email, however I'm guilty
of subscribing to lists and deleting the charters without reading them.

Yes, I'm a bad boy sometimes.  8^)

I initially subscribed to -newbies because I "assumed" it was a list
where newbies could post technical questions.  I made this assumption
based on the current name of the list.  If it would have been called
"freebsd-dontaskquestionshere.org", I probably wouldn't have subscribed
right away and posted my questions to -questions instead.

> > FREEBSD-NEWBIES
> >
> > Welcome to FreeBSD!
> > This list is a gathering place for people new to FreeBSD.
> > Please feel free to share your experiences with others on this list.
> >
> > Support questions should be sent to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> > (NOT to the newbies list please)
> >
> > Full info and FAK   http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/
> > Resource list       http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html
>
> jmb

Maybe the list should be renamed to "freebsd-newbies-readthecharterfirst.org"?

(just kidding)  8^)