Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:17:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, terry@lambert.org, scrappy@hub.org, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

> *coherent* is one thing....having a focus is another (theres that word
> again!). Since
> there is no clear goal, the future is a fog, which makes Freebsd
> undesirable in
> the long run for major endeavors.

Actually, that isn't what I have been seeing.  There is a focused goal,
and that is to be an excellent U**X clone, and more generally effective OS.
That includes various facets of performance and capability.  If you want
FreeBSD to be a router, and FreeBSD doesn't do exactly what you want, then
you can help direct the effort by supporting it; I am positive that there
are other companies using FreeBSD as a router -- and it is what they need,
very long term.  Waiting passively isn't going to help your cause.

I think that when you say "FreeBSD is undesirable in the long run for major
endeavors", then your assertion appears to be globally true (which I know to be
very false.)  You have as much control as anyone else, in that you can help
make it better for your needs.  If I committed a half baked idea that no-one
else in -core (or other committers) wanted, then either I would be asked to
remove it, or someone else would do it for me.  So the major difference is
that I have to worry more about veto's (even though I try to recruit reviewers),
and non-committers have to worry about passing reviews.  The end results are
often similar.

In the same way that I work on things for FreeBSD that further my interests
(both commercial (FreeBSD and otherwise) and personal), you should also.
Actually, I see FreeBSD as a long term player being more effective than even
in the short term.  It is usually the short term concerned users who want
something specifically for their business NOW, without assisting with a
long term commitment themselves.

It is those who show a long term commitment who gain significantly in
credibility with us.  Threats of non-commitment loose lots.  It would be
similar to me publically threatening "I don't want to work on FreeBSD
anymore unless..."  My credibility associated with having a long term
interest would be suspect.  That becomes self defeating.

BTW, we do have a defined core team, with individual responsibilities
and areas of interest.  Please be specific about your complaints and
then they can be addressed.  However, if there are no resources to
work the issues, then new resources need to be brought online.

If you and I disagree, then time will tell...

John