Date:      Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:20:47 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        David Niergarth <jdnier@tds.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error mounting /dev/ad1s3

Hi David,

>>> I went back and tried this. Problem now is that the DiskLabel Editor
>>> is not letting me specify the size of the filesystem. I select my
>>> slice, type "C" to create. I can choose either "swap" or "file
>>> system" but whichever I pick, it automatically uses all available
>>> space, leaving nothing for anything else.
>>
>>  Yep, that's the downside for having to do this.
>

> So no swap? Is this the "fdisk not working" problem? Just wondering if
> this is a short or long-term problem (and if I wan't to install RC-1 now
> or wait a bit).

  Swap works: you just have to dedicate an entire slice to it. The
situation won't change for 6.0.

  I suppose it boils down to a question of usability. If you have to
carve up the disk with Apple tools, is it fine at that stage to size up
how you want FreeBSD to drop onto dedicated slices ? Or is it better to
have a single slice for FreeBSD, and partition that up ?

  User community, let me know !

later,

Peter.