Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2006 01:32:35 -0800
From:      "Richard Koett" <richard@koett.ca>
To:        <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Installation Documentation Suggestion

I had a slight problem following the installation instructions for =
FreeBSD when I got to this point:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-media.h=
tml

I had booted my computer from a CD that I burned using =
5.4-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso, walked through a custom installation just =
fine till just after selecting the install media and being prompted:

   User Confirmation Requested Last Chance!
   Are you SURE you want to continue the installation?

I selected "Yes". The filesystems were created, then the following error =
occurred:=20

   Unable to transfer the base installation from acd0

This may sound incredibly stupid but I spent a fair bit of time trying =
to troubleshoot this before I tried removing the boot CD, inserting the =
on created from 5.4-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso and THEN selecting "Yes" to =
continue the installation.

I assumed that when it was necessary to swap CD's I would be prompted. =
This was not the case. In checking the installation instructions in the =
handbook there is also no mention of removing the boot CD and inserting =
the next one before continuing.

I realize that the CD image name contains the string "bootonly". Still, =
you might consider having the install script check for the correct CD or =
give some kind of reminder when to change it, or perhaps make a note in =
your instructions as to when the CD should be swapped.

Perhaps by pointing out where I got confused I can prevent some other =
dummy from getting caught the same way.

Cheers!
RPK.