Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:02:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Benjamin Gavin <virtual_olympus@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Multi-provider load balancing

Hi all,
  I've got a problem.  I have two providers (cable modem/DSL) and I need
to load-balance the connection between them.  I don't want to do BGP, and
would prefer something that is marginally easy to maintain.  I don't care
about balancing based on load, simple round-robin style balancing would be
fine.  Here's a "picture":

Internal Network (192.168.x.x)

FreeBSD 4.2-RC firewall
 |             |
 V             V
cable         DSL

  Each external side is currently DHCP, but could be static if necessary.
What I need is when a request goes out through the firewall for the
machine to basically "choose a side".  Then once the connection is
established it could stay on that pipe, or flip back and forth (whichever
is easier).

  Here's what I've tried:

1.  ipfw + 2xnatd, doesn't seem to work, since ipfw rules can't randomly
choose on of two rules (AFAIK)

2.  ipnat + ipfilter: load-balancing rdr rules don't seem to want to
load-balance prior to mapping, and map rules don't accept multiple
destination choices.

3.  Combinations of ipnat/natd + ipfilter/ipfw:  I don't even know if this
is possible, but I tried it anyway.  Couldn't get anything to happen, not
even standard single-mapping nat.

  Conceptually this is a very easy task.  Connection comes in, we choose
an exit path randomly (or an existing one if it's in the table already)
and do the NAT and forget about it.  The return packet handles itself
through the normal NAT mechanisms.

  Has anyone done this?  I don't have the skills nor time to actually do
any of the coding on this myself.  I've looked through the mailing list
repositories and there are tons of questions, but no answers.  I've looked
through the ipf mailing lists, and again, lots of questions, but no
answers...  I'm at a loss.  Is this just not possible?  Am I going to be
forced to purchase an off-the-shelf hardware product to do this?

Thanks much,
Ben Gavin
ben@virtual-olympus.com