Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 20:49:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ian Hart <ianjhart@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tun0 lost in 4.0

enlightenment, Sergei Vyshenski wrote:
> > Can not revive tun0 interface after moving to 4.0
from 3.4
> > in a way that src/UPDATING teaches.
> >
> > Kernel file has "pseudo-device   tun     1",
kernel builds ok;
> > ./MAKEDEV tun0 in /dev does not complain;
> > bbut ifconfig says: "interface tun0 does not
exist"

> > Actually, I need tun0 to accept incoming user-ppp,
> > and would be happy to hear of workaround at least.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
> > Sergei
>
> Believe it should only be "pseudo-device tun" with
no "1".

> --
> Walter Brameld

Sergei, did you fix your problem?

A bit late on this thread I know. The reason being -
no modem for over a week. When I ran ppp and went to
terminal mode there was no response at all from the
modem. I was running 4.0-STABLE. Was A1 under
3.4-STABLE. I managed to get online (very) early
Saturday morning to cvsup. Sometime during the power
down/make world/reading of 500+ emails it broke again.
It's currently working (obviously), but I'm too
paranoid to do anything in case I break it again. I
have set pseudo-device tun 1, contrary to GENERIC
setting.

The modem is a no-name (ORIGO) 56k6 Rockwell Voice,
ISA with jumpers, set to COM 4 IRQ 9. Tried in the two
machines I have at home. One with PNP COM ports, the
other not. Could be broken hardware of course.

I also find I can no longer authenticate on freeserve
(UK). X-stream is okay. Can someone who uses freeserve
confirm/deny connection with 4.0-STABLE. Could be
broken ISP of course.

Any assistance would be most welcome. I can provide
dmesg or whatever, but I'm not sure that will help as
it's currently okay. Could be broken 'userware' of
course :-)

On a positive note, at least I now know how to set up
a gateway host and DNS servers. Next step - packet
filtering and proxy servers. Joy Joy Joy.

ian j hart

PS. The upgrade 3.4-4.0 went more or less without a
hitch. Slightly sweaty palms I couldn't remount /
single user. Fixed that once I realised it was still
on wd0 not ad0.

PPS. This probably will not attach to the thread. I
find I cannot send mail (ISP firewall?). Thank God for
Yahoo in emergencies.