Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 16:59:33 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads-up! gcc-2.7.2 on the way!

Peter Wemm writes:
> It's been requested enough, it's finally about to happen... (and has even
> been OK'ed by the rest of -core)

Cool.  I've been wondering when this would happen after you hinted at it
a couple weeks ago.

> What this means:
>  - C parser is much more ruthless...  *much* more...

That's a double-edged sword.  It's good and bad at the same time.

>  - The gcc/libg++ vendor branch will be repaired

:)

> (Then we can have the joy of seeing about all the new things that "-W
> -Wunused ... etc" complains about in the kernel :-( )

Or we can remove the warnings from the Makefiles until they get
fixed. *grin*

> I've been running a userland and kernel built with this compiler for some
> weeks now without any apparent problems other than genuine kernel bugs,
> of course.. :-)
>
> This should be done in a day or two, so now is the time to speak up if you
> have anything to say on the subject.......

Is there any chance of doing the 2.7.2 work and afterward adding in the
pre-2.7.3 patches which fix some serious x86 bugs that Warner has, or do
we want to wait for 2.7.3 to be 'official'?

Nate