Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 1997 22:06:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        mlduke@concentric.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forwarded mail....

> As I write this on terminal 6, I'm stuck in vi editing my httpd.conf file
> at alaskaartist.com. "q" does not quit vi as the book I have says it does.
> Any suggestions? Hurry please?

RTF man vi more carefully.  First, make sure you are in command mode by
hitting the escape key.  Then, if you do not wish to save any changes you
make, hit
:q!

Yes, the : goes in front of it.

If you do wish to save your work, hit
ZZ
There is no : in front of this one, just two capital Z's.  They will not
be echoed.

Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498

FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations
http://www.freebsd.org
                     We shall not cease from exploration,
                And the end of our exploring shall be to arrive
            Where we started from, and know the place for the first time.
                       --T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets