Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:56:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Gunnar Pruessner <pruess@yamuna.will.knipp.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Tyan Tomcat IV

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Gunnar Pruessner wrote:

> Hello!
> Recently we tested a new system: Tyan Tomcat IV (single processor),
> K6-233 (C9746BJGW 3.3(!)V Core), 2x64MB + 6x32MB = 320MB. We tried
> all available BIOS options for cache and RAM timing, but it failed
> again and again at the latest after 2 hours: "Page fault in kernel
> mode" or simply hanging (without core).
>
> Any suggestions?

  Are you sure the RAM is good?  A lot (10%) of the RAM I've bought
lately, is DOA, and I need to return it.  Of course, I always buy parity
memory, so the server simply tells me what the problem is, rather than a
mysterious panic.

  Also, how chips are on the 64MB SIMMs?  Most motherboards can only
handle SIMMs with 24 chips or less, but every time I've ordered 64MB
SIMMs, I gotten unusable SIMMs.

  On large memory configurations, ALWAYS use parity RAM.

> Thank you,
> Gunnar

Tom