Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 1996 22:16:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Temporary passwd files in /etc?

Brian Tao wrote:

>     I found these two files lying around in the /etc directory of one
> of our FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE machines here.
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel      459403 Jan 20 15:35 pw.007939.orig
> -rw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel      612563 Jan 25 19:06 pw.021282~
>
>     pw.021282~ is a world readable/writeable copy of the master.passwd
> file.  How did either of those files get there?  Do the serial numbers
> on them look familiar to anyone (pids?).

Hi,

We had a similar problem. These files are backup files created by the the
joe editor. There is a bug in some versions of this editor, that creates
the backup files with the wrong permissions.
We solved the problem by installing version 2.8 of joe. This, however
does not prevent creating the backup files, they just have the correct
permissions. If you don't want these files at all, you need to turn off
the backup option of joe for root.

Regards,

           Frank

       Frank Volf - Internet Access Eindhoven - Digitale Stad Eindhoven
  ||  volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl - use for personal mail                         ||
  ||  volf@IAEhv.nl - use for Internet Access Eindhoven related mail      ||
  ||  volf@dse.dse.nl - use for Digital City of Eindhoven related mail    ||
    IAE Public Access Unix System - Dial +31.40.2439436 and login as new.