Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:28:18 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>, "Nicole Harrington." <nicole@unixgirl.com>
Cc:        "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Mike Tancsa" <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: 3ware IDE Raid. SCSI killer?

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:21:13 -0700 (PDT), Nicole Harrington.
wrote:

> But with the low cost
>availability of large capacity disks (40-75 gigs each) you can construct a very
>nice very LARGE RAID array for storing infrequently used data were throughput
>and speed is not as great an issue but uptime and availability are.
> At least this is my need.

Exactly!
In my case the data will be mostly temporary. I just need a
large amount of space that would be too expensive with SCSI. I
am doing a system next week and the whole thing will be 140Gig
(2 40GB in RAID 1 and 2 60GB on RAID0). Total cost using an
existing computer... under $1300.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate