Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 09:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildword curiousities

Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

>>It puts each one in the same directory where the real file will end
>>up.  Then it uses rename(2) to move it atomically into place after it
>>has been checked for validity.  There's some code that attempts to
>>clean up a temp file if you kill the program in the middle.  Usually
>>it works.
>
> And how is the temp file named?  Should be clean, but if it happens again
> it would be nice to be able to search for them.

The temp files all have names like "#cvs.cvsup*".

> The size wasn't off, AFAICR, just a lot of odd character subs.  The version
> on the CD was OK.  Points to hardware.  Thought that CVSup went by the
> version# and size.

Yes, but unless the information from stat(2) differs -- namely, the
timestamp and sometimes the size -- CVSup doesn't even look at the
file.  All bulk file update programs have to work that way, because
it would be prohibitively slow to open and examine every file.

> Learned quick that when you modify source that is CVSup'd, it a
> GoodIdea to keep things elsewhere.

Or learn about "refuse" files.  I added a bunch of stuff to the
CVSup FAQ about that recently.

    http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron