Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:54:26 -0600
From:      Michael Butler <mike@tgn.net>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multihoming

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:25:12 +0800, you wrote:

>Michael,
>
>I do have my own portable address space, I cannot apply for an ASN until=
>am ready to proceed - I guess this is to stop people applying who then =
do
>not go ahead with the BGP routing.

Is this right? It seems almost a chicken and egg thing to get the
address space and ASN. Can someone explain the process to me in plain
English?=20

It seems I have to justify my address space as it exists now to get
new address space.=20

To get an ASN I have to have the quandary exist where I have access to
two or more providers and need to BGP4 to/from them. So I have to
invest in the infrastructure and get the feeds and then wait until I
get all the ARIN stuff lined out?

I'd much prefer to be prepared when the equipment and feeds come
together since that investment is greater and would be less desirable
to be without function (hardware and feeds not working for me and
indirectly making money).=20

... or am I just screwed up and confused?