Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:08:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Mark Diekhans <markd@Kermodei.com>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA modems locking up system under 4.1.1

> > > Hmm, spoke too soon.  After the modem worked for hours, it lockup
> > > up the system twice in a few minutes (on IRQ 7, which I am 99% is
> > > not in use).
> >
> > Ejecting the card, or you had a lockup of the system?  If the latter,
> > how do you know the modem caused it?
>
> No, not ejecting the card; but accessing the network over the modem.
> I don't know 100%; but I have never had a lockup when the modem was
> not in the machine and it generally seems to be associated with some kind
> of modem activity.  Other that this, they system is rock solid.

IRQ 7 is a 'stray interrupt'.  It may be related to the modem, or it may
not be.

> > The modem won't work at all reliably in PIO mode.  The interrupt load is
> > difficult enough to keep up with in non-polled mode.  If you polled the
> > modem, you'd have so many overflows as to be useless.
>
> Ok; thought it might be an interesting experiment.

Interesting is probably a good word for it. :)

> > Or, are you talking about the PCIC controller (which generates
> > insertion/removal event)?
>
> Hmm, might be a worth while experiment; at least would give me another IRQ to
> try.  Is it enabled by setting the PCIC IRQ to 0?

Nope, the modem IRQ is decided by whatever line matches in
/etc/pccard.conf.

It may have a hard-coded IRQ

# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
        config  0x1 "ep0" 10

# The ethernet card is hard-coded to use IRQ 10

However, it could 'pick a free one',
# 3Com Etherlink III 3C589D
card "3Com Corporation" "3C589D"
        config  0x1 "ep0" ?

# ? - Pick a free one based on the list of available interrupts from the
#     top of the file.  Those that haven't already been assigned can be
#     assigned.

Nate