Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:37:06 -0400
From:      "leegold" <goldtech@worldpost.com>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

> Certainly a step in the right direction, although a few too many
assumptions
> about prior knowledge. Possibly the info one needs is in print someplace,
> but the stuff is so horribly fragmented that its a jigsaw puzzle trying to
> locate all the pieces & assemble them .... and assuming the particular
> pieces of the jigsaw puzzle one needs are actually written in some
language
> of planet earth.

I had to use instructions from five web sites and piece it together when I
attempted my first install some months ago plus fill in the blanks from the
mail and newsgroups. This has been the pattern for learning how to do most
things. In a mission critical situation ( and of course I can only tread
water re FreeBSD at this point ) I would say use the brilliantly documented
stuff all things being equal.

I have found - and I feel "funny" saying this, but, many ( SOME ) brilliant
Unix admins. - they are....individualists. Some are hard for me to deal
with. Even the ones in official teaching positions sometimes are eccentric.
But I unabashedly pick their brains if I can.

>  As I said in another posting, propellorheads are the LAST
> people who should be writing docs ...... if something can't be easily
> comprehended by newbies there is no point clogging up bandwidth or
murdering
> trees.

snip...