Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 13:04:17 -0400
From:      "Chan, Stephen (IT)" <stephen.chan@gs.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Almost there but can't get serial console login to work on FreeBS D 4.0

Hi,

I need help getting login to work from a serial console.
If anyone has ideas, I would appreciate a reply via email.
Thanks!

Setup:
- FreeBSD 4.0
- COM 1 as the login
- /etc/ttys: "ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure"
- boot with -p, and FreeBSD detects a serial console
- I get the boot up messages on the screen
- no keyboard plugged in
- Dell Optiplex GX1

Problem:
I get the login prompt on my serial console.  I type in a userid (root or
non-root) hit <enter> and I get the password prompt.  When i type in the
password and hit <enter> things just hang.  After a few minutes I get the
login prompt again.

When i do a ps -auxww (by plugging in a monitor and a keyboard), I see a
login -p <loginid> and also a login -p <passwd>.  It seems like the passwd
that I had typed was used as another login id and that the login process
never really got my passwd.

Strange...

-Steve

Stephen Chan