Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 11:00:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BPF vs. promiscuous mode

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Olaf Hoyer wrote:

> >> BSD or Linux, some program/trick/whatsoever that pretends(return to arp
> >> queries) a different MAC adress than stored on the ROM of the NIC.
> >
> >Changing the MAC address of a NIC is extremely simple, it's easily done
> >even in windows - don't single out students who run unix as troublemakers.
> Yes, thats what I meant.
> Extremely simple? Then you know something I don't know yet- examples/names
> of programs-drivers/URLs?

Well, under windows, it's just a setting in the advanced properties in my
tulip's drivers (but it's not there with my pnic.)  Under linux, it's just
an ifconfig option - I forget the exact command line, it's been a
while.  I'm sure the man page lists it, though.  Under FreeBSD, changing
your MAC address isn't directly supported yet, but there are patches in
the mailing list archives for compiling a kernel module which will allow
you to do it.

All in all, it's easy.

> Well, yes, thats the major issue, but as I also belong to that big group
> (some administration is done in the dorm internally) and my personal box
> also is hooked up to that LAN, so I have a vital personal interest.
> Because I have to work under Winblows frequently due to various reasons
> related to study topics and work I do (making some money on support etc.) I
> have some reasons to care...
>
> Real problem is the implemenatation style of that network, that each room
> where the puter is, is private, so only way to enforce some policy is to
> pull the user.

Hm, it could be worse than that.  With a hub style setup, I'm not sure how
you could trace back who the offender is if he's good.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack