Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:18:21 -0500
From:      "Craig Reyenga" <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

Sorry for butting in, but my $.02 is that 386's are old enough that
FreeBSD, or any other OS for that matter, shouldn't wait up for them.
They've gotten to the point where they are basically useless except
for running older software, which was likely written for them anyways.
If I had a 386 that I wanted FreeBSD on, I'd crack open the old FreeBSD 3.5
install CD's, assuming it even had a cdrom drive.

I understand why people care about supporting older hardware. Reasons
such as cost, and the ability to allow code bloat to _really_ manifest
itself
come to mind. However, a 386 is just too old for words and should
be running older software with less features.

-Craig