Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:31:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The stack size for a process?

:Hi,
:
:after making world of a CURRENT cvsupped yesterday, one of my
:applications stopped working because of a Segmentation fault.
:
:The C procedure where the problem pops has about 64k local variables.
:here's the assembly output of the procedure's beginning:
:
:0x805bb60 <transaction_read_objects>:   pushl  %ebp
:0x805bb61 <transaction_read_objects+1>: movl   %esp,%ebp
:0x805bb63 <transaction_read_objects+3>: subl   $0x1000c,%esp
:0x805bb69 <transaction_read_objects+9>: pushl  %edi
:
:
:The Segmentation fault happens when the process tries to push %edi in
:the stack, which has been just decreased by 0x1000c.
:
:here's the stack in the beginning of main():
:esp            0xbfbfd744
:ss             0x27
:
:and after the fault:
:esp            0xbfacae68
:ss             0x27
:
:If I decrease the size of the local vars, it goes ok.
:
:It's interesting, because I made a simple test using 640k local vars,
:and it worked!
:
:void ab() {
:        char buf[655360];
:        buf[0] = 0;
:	buff[655359] = 0;
:}
:
:main () {
:        ab();
:}
:
:
:--iani

    At your csh prompt type 'limit'.  If you are using bash type 'ulimit -a'.

    When I compile and run your program it works fine on my box.  I tried
    compiling it -O0, -O1, and -O2.

    % cc x.c -o x -O0
    % ./x
    %