Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 20:23:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Aragon Gouveia <aragon@phat.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum vs. ccd

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Aragon Gouveia wrote:

> I have two drives of different size that I need to combine into one volume.
> As much as I'd love to do striping, I don't think this will be reliable (if
> at all possible) with drives of differing size. So I've opted on just doing
> a straight concatenation of them.

ARe you sure you want to do this?   You know if either drive fails, you're
screwed.

Have you considered making two filesystems and using creative symlinking
and/or mounting?

That said:

> My question is an opionated one. I'm trying to decide between ccd and vinum.
> I need a reliable solution that's quick/easy to setup and maintain, and one
> where I don't have to worry about it breaking, say, 6 months down the line
> when I upgrade freebsd. ie. which of the two is regarded less developmental?

I use vinum *a lot*.  I'm always using it in a raid 1 or striped raid 0+1
configuration with identical volume sizes so I can't comment on your
specific situation, although I can vouch for it's stability in my
application.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE