Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 09:27:01 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird file corruption?

Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net> wrote:
>Except simm checkers don't always catch errors, so if the simm passes,
>there still is no guarantee (but simm checkers do weed out obvious
>duds quicker than trying in a system).  Unfortunately, there is no
>conclusive test [that I know about] to prove a simm is "good".
I'd agree with that.  The guts of a DRAM (or any type) is high-speed
analog circuitry with delicate multi-phase clocking (the external
clocks and selects are internally subdivided into maybe 20 phases).
There can be pattern-sensitive crosstalk between rows or columns that
depends on inter-access timings - or even how long since a particular
row was refreshed.  I suspect it's impossible to prove that a SIMM
is good - there are two many combinations to test.

>Even better is to only use motherboards that support parity and/or ECC,
>with parity/ecc simms/dimms.
This is the only practical way to detect memory problems.

A subsidiary problem is that, unlike say Solaris, FreeBSD doesn't
automatically report ECC errors.  Without this, your memory controller
can be furiously correcting a hard single-bit error and die when
it glitches to a double-bit error.  Someone did post a script that
checked and cleared the relevant register in an i440 several months
ago, but I seem to have mislaid both the script and reference :-(.

Peter