Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 15:02:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wietse@porcupine.org (Wietse Venema)
To:        pir@pir.net (Peter Radcliffe)
Cc:        wietse@porcupine.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need FreeBSD 4.0 removable SCSI support

Peter Radcliffe:
> Wietse Venema <wietse@porcupine.org> probably said:
> > With my Thinkpad 600 machine, the SlimSCSI 1460B+Jaz 2GB works with
> > FreeBSD 2.2.8 and with SUSE Linux 6.4. So it would appear that the
> > hardware is not too broken.
>
> The only thing that occurs to me is 4.0 uses a configuration that
> conflicts with something else in the machine, which seems odd given
> that another Thinkpad 600 owner has said it is ok.
>
> Did they send you their configuration details ?

Who was that TP600 owner? We might be able to make a very close
comparison between our systems. I have not seen that email as
I am not on the freebsd list (I receive too much mail).

> > What is 3.4-PAO? Is it a patch to the 3.4-RELEASE that I already
> > have on CD, or does this involve yet another download and install?
>
> http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO/
>
> New kernel ans a few userland utilities for 3.4. If you can install
> 3.4 then you can just do a binary install of PAO over the top.

That sounds interesting. There still is a little free space
on the spare disk that I use for testing. Of course that web
server is dead right now.

> > What hardware were you using? Perhaps the Thinkpad 600 is a bit
> > finnicky about things.
>
> The laptop is a Sony 505TR, the disk a random Seagate 1Gb disk I
> had kicking around in an external case.
>
> Do you have any other scsi devices to test with ?

All I want is to use this sucker with the JAZ drive. Carrying
a couple external disk drives in my suitcase is not practical.

	Wietse